Sunday, October 23, 2011

sick no more

Okay, I am well now.  It took almost a week, but I'm finally well.

Michael is passed out on the couch at the moment due to a headache and, hopefully that's all it is.

So, to update you a bit, since I have been well, we have been able to enjoy homemade Mexican food thanks to Costco and their provision of large amounts of cheese, tortilla chips, and flour tortillas.  There is one Mexican restaurant in our city but it's not the same as what you can get in the west or, even, what we can make at home with the right ingredients.

We started talking with our pastor and a couple other Americans at church today about what to do for Thanksgiving.  I think we're going to have a Thanksgiving dinner at church the Sunday after Thanksgiving.  I'm hoping we'll be able to find turkey somewhere around here...  Though, I hear they're hard to come by.

I've hit a funk.  It's a homesickness funk.  I think, besides the fact that I just straight-up miss home, it's also been brought on by the oncoming holiday season.  I've never not been home for the holidays.  Now, not only will I not be home, but I'll be in a strange country where Thanksgiving is just another Thursday and, where, besides the decorations and appearances, Christmas isn't that big of a deal either.  So, I'm in a funk.

Due to my funk, I've been spending a lot of time on Pinterest lately finding things that I want to dress like, ways I want to decorate a house, food I want to make, crafts I want to do, etc.  I've also been watching movies.  I watched Princess Diaries for the first time in a long time last week, as well as the sequel.  I also watched a movie called From Prada to Nada.  It was a pretty good movie.  It was a spin-off of Sense and Sensibility.  I'm going for the nice, light-hearted romantic comedies these days.  Well, that's what I usually go for, but I suppose, these days especially.

I read before I came here that one thing you want to bring when you come to Korea are plenty of shoes.  I don't think I brought enough.  We do so much walking here.  I think we may splurge and invest in some Chuck Taylors tomorrow.  They should work well as walking around town and running errand shoes so that the others can be saved for work.

No comments:

Post a Comment