Last night in my class, we were talking about sickness symptoms and such. One of the symptoms in the book was "pain in your hip." I wanted to make sure my students all knew what a hip was; however, when I told them, they got confused and started arguing a little bit with me.
Apparently, they are taught in their private schools here that a hip is your rear end.
Needless to say, we had an interesting discussion to fix this false teaching. They were like, "So what do you call this?" (pointing to their rear ends)
One student said, "A**?"
"Well, yes, a** is a word for that, but it's kind of dirty."
So I taught them to use "butt, bottom, or rear end" instead.
They thought bottom was a funny word to use for that because they know that as a preposition rather than a noun.
So, if you ever hear a Korean say something about a hip, you might want to make sure they are saying what they mean to be saying.
No comments:
Post a Comment