Monday, December 26, 2011

Yesterday was Christmas?

It's almost difficult for me to believe that yesterday was Christmas.

This was the most bizarre Christmas I have ever had.  Thankfully, Thanksgiving seemed to take the brunt of the heartbroken emotion.  Because Thanksgiving was my first big holiday in Korea and it kicks off the holiday season, I was a bit of a mess off and on during that time.

However, with Christmas, in some ways, it was easier.  Yes, I was sad that I didn't get to spend it with my family, doing the same things we do each year, but, I think my tears were exhausted on Thanksgiving.  Now we're just kind of moving through life here, one day at a time and it barely even seems like Christmas happened at all.

On Christmas eve we spent the morning in the hospital with Leigh Margaret who came into town for the holiday and was sick.  Then, in the afternoon, we had orientation for work that started up again today.  However, we did go to a nice little Christmas eve party at our pastor and his wife's house that evening.

Yesterday (Christmas day), we opened stocking presents with Leigh Margaret in the morning.  Then Michael and I went to church for the lessons and carols service (Leigh Margaret was still too sick to attend).  We picked up some Chinese food on the way home.  Then, after we opened presents from our family, we pretty much spent the afternoon eating our Chinese food and lesson planning for this week.

And BAM, just like that, Christmas is over and we must carry on with life.

I am kind of sad that we didn't get to savor more of the day.  After all, Christmas time is my favorite part of the year.  It's strange in Korea though.  Apparently, it is more of a holiday for children and couples than anyone else.  I learned from my students last semester that they would get Christmas trees and presents when they were children but now Christmas is lame if you don't have a boyfriend or a girlfriend.  This is a very strange concept for me.

Anyway, thank you all who helped to make Christmas more special for us as we are so far away!  We appreciated all the cards, gifts, notes, and prayers.  It was a strange Christmas, but it was by no means a bad Christmas.

We hope that you all had a wonderful Christmas where you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment